Chiropractic Care For Pregnancy
If you are on this page, you are most likely expecting a baby, so congratulations! It is such an exciting time for parents, but it does come with a lot of new questions and concerns. Every decision you now make affects your future child. The healthcare decisions you now make can have a big bearing on the ultimate outcome of your pregnancy.
Choosing chiropractic care during pregnancy can lead to a faster, easier delivery that is beneficial to both mom and child. If you talk to mothers who have had a child without Chiropractic care and one with prenatal chiropractic care, they will tell you the difference is night and day. The American Pregnancy Association even encourages expecting mothers to find a chiropractor who has prenatal training.
So how does it work? Chiropractors work with the body’s ability to adapt and function the way it is designed to. Chiropractic care in pregnancy is vital to the normal physiological function of both the mother and baby in pregnancy and birth. Here are the potential benefits:
In The Mother:
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating a state of balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Removes torsion of the ligaments that support the uterus thus potentially reducing aberrant tension to the woman’s uterus.
- Reduces interference to the mother’s vital nerve system which controls and co-ordinates all of her systems and functions.
- By improving maternal function we are decreasing the potential for unnecessary intervention.
To The Infant:
- Reduces interference to the mother’s nerve system allowing for better baby development.
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention.
Is Chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
There are no known contraindications to chiropractic spinal and pelvic adjustments throughout pregnancy, other than those affecting any non-gravid individual. The American Pregnancy Association even encourages expecting mothers to find a chiropractor who has prenatal training.
Chiropractic adjustments, described as high-velocity, low amplitude thrusts, are frequently applied to sites of spinal or sacroiliac subluxations in the pregnant patient. To date, no reported adverse events have been associated with this type of care in this population.
We practice the Webster Technique, which is the most utilized technique performed on expecting patients. There are some misconceptions about the Webster technique, so be sure to check out our Webster FAQ page for more information on that.
Are you ready to make your pregnancy, labor and delivery safer and more enjoyable? Call our office today! 319-393-4303